The newest, and by most measures the most impressive addition to the Austin landscape, the Fairmont Austin impresses by its sheer scale:
- 37 stories
- 1,048 guest rooms
- 13,500 sq ft of outdoor space
- 140,000 sq ft of total meeting space
- all of this at a mere cost of $370 million (!)
Unbeknownst to me, I was one of the first fortunate guest to experience this new addition to the Central Business District, staying for just one night in March 2018, a few weeks after the hotel opened.
Here are some of the highlights of this stay:
- Location: directly connected to the Austin Convention Center, the location was clearly a focal point here, and does not disappoint.
- Service: the staff is excellent (but again, I was there within weeks of the opening, so every effort was made to make the stay particularly enjoyable) and friendly all-around. For a newly-opened hotel, I thought that everything was spot on and seamless already.
- Atmosphere: luxurious and refined, with a bit of a “business” feel but a good mix of guests. The hotel is enormous, which allows for different meeting spaces, bars, restaurant to cohabitate in harmony.
- Rooms: clean, modern, efficient. Bedroom, bathroom, shower are just perfect.
- Pool: the 7th floor terrace features a heated pool which is absolutely stunning, featuring chaise lounging in the water, cabanas and unobstructed views of downtown Austin. I believe day passes are available for non-guests but psshht! Keep it a secret.
- Gym: top-of-the art, and actually a bit more impressive than that. I wish my own gym would be like it! Would be worth a standalone membership.
- Price: will probably be highly variable given the many festivals/events in Austin (SXSW in particular). In the absence of major events, my room rate was reasonable and actually less than the competing properties (Marriott, Hilton etc.)
- Would we go again? Most definitely. The short stay was not enough to experience and appreciate everything this property has to offer.
- Any particular tips? The on-site restaurants are downright amazing. I ate at “Revue” (a collection of four distinct cuisines, namely from Italy, Asia, seafood and believe it or, artisanal Pastry!). Locally grown products, high quality ingredients, and choices for everyone. I went for the blistered edamame (quite good), crispy Brussels sprouts (a MUST TRY, that was absolutely amazing, and yes, we are getting excited over Brussels sprouts) as well as the whole branzino (pretty good, considering we’re quite far from the water). See our Instagram page for related pictures!
Verdict: an excellent 4.5 out of 5 overall for this new addition to the Austin hotel scene. Would love to visit again soon, especially in the summer to enjoy the outdoor pool. I’d actually be happy to come back for the dining experience alone (a rare feat in the hotel world!).
Before we let you go, here are a couple of additional useful links:
- Official website: http://www.fairmont.com/austin
- Fact sheet: http://www.fairmont.com/austin/travel-tools/fact-sheet/
- Zagat: https://www.zagat.com/b/most-anticipated-austin-restaurants-of-2018
- Eater review: https://austin.eater.com/2018/3/5/17081164/fairmont-austin-hotel-restaurants-open-photos-fulton-revue-garrison-good-things-rules-regs-bar
- Revue menu: https://www.revueatx.com/menus
- Austin monthly: http://www.austinmonthly.com/Blog/May-2017/Five-Hotel-Pools-That-Offer-Day-Passes/
Anything else you’d like to know? Let us know in the comments! Also interested in additional feedback from others who’s tried this amazing hotel already.